Graves' Disease

Chat

Quiz: Do You Understand Graves' Disease?

Test your knowledge by answering the following questions:

Questions
True
False
1

Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that occurs when the immune system attacks your thyroid and produces an antibody.

Explanation:
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that occurs when the immune system attacks your thyroid and produces an antibody. This causes your thyroid to produce more hormones than your body needs.
2

Bulging eyes is not a symptom of Graves' disease.

Explanation:
Symptoms of Graves’ disease include weight loss, fatigue, bulging eyes (Graves' ophthalmopathy), enlargement of the thyroid gland, heart palpitations, anxiety, a tremor in the hands or fingers and changes in menstrual cycle.
3

There are two main treatments for Graves' disease.

Explanation:
There are three main treatments available for Graves' disease, and it’s largely up to the patient do decide which one works best for him or her. The least popular option is removal of the thyroid.
4

Drinking radioactive iodine essentially kills the thyroid.

Explanation:
One treatment involves drinking radioactive iodine, which essentially kills the thyroid, eliminating the conditions. Most patients' thyroid levels drop to low within three months, which is a permanent condition. However, it's very easy to treat an underactive thyroid, so this can be an attractive option.
5

Anti-thyroid drugs work about 10 percent of the time.

Explanation:
The third treatment option is taking anti-thyroid drugs to slow down your thyroid, which works about 40 percent of the time. For the other 60 percent of patients, thyroid levels go back up once the medication is stopped.